Saturday, December 13, 2008

My First Injury....I'm Sad.

So, I FINALLY found a cardio workout that I love! Thank you Lord!! And, I found I am pretty good at it. One problem. It doesn't love me. It is what I like to call a "teaser". These come into my life with regular fashion and frankly, I hate them! I love interval training on the treadmill. I even discovered a special button on the treadmill that lets me switch over from my "jog speed" to "run speed" with one touch of a button. Here's the problem.....my knee HATES interval training and let me know on Wednesday, just how much! I am not taking it well. I, unfortunately, shared with my trainer Todd that my knee was bothering me, and he was concerned. OY VEY!! So, he thought I should stop training on the treadmill for awhile (my SECOND banishment of the year) until it felt better. Then, he worked my legs on Wednesday. Not good is all I can share of the experience because this is a PG-13 blog. Then, I got nervous because my weekly weigh in was on Friday. You see, interval training does many things for me:
  1. Burns a stinking load of calories!
  2. Makes me feel strong as my times improve!
  3. Helps me train for my 5K's!
  4. Makes me actually ENJOY going to the gym to do cardio!
  5. Hurts my knee :(

So, with the weigh in eminent....I ignored my trainer and did interval training on Thursday morning, not knowing Todd was coming in early on Thursday morning, as well. Let me re-live that little conversation for you....

  • Good Morning Todd! (Hobbling over to his desk)
  • Good Morning. (Frowning face) How's the knee? (still frowning)
  • Fine. A little sore.....grimace!
  • Why were you doing interval training?
  • What do you mean?
  • Crissy, you realize that the area in front of the cardio equipment in completely clear and I can see you when you work out don't you? You also realize the stairmaster I asked you to work on is in the front of said clear area, don't you?
  • Why are you here so early anyway?
  • Crissy, you do realize that I tell you not to do interval training so that your knee can heal and you won't injure it further, don't you??
  • Yes Todd.
  • So....why were you doing interval training?
  • Because I like it better and my weigh in is tomorrow and because I HATE the stairmaster and I thought my knee hurting was a fluke thing and it would be better today.
  • How is your knee? (serious frowning occurring now)
  • It hurts still, but I got through my workout. Isn't that the most important thing?
  • No.
  • No?
  • No. The most important thing to me is you don't really hurt your knee and cause an injury that may require you to not workout at all. What seems to be the most important thing to you is doing what you want to do, instead of listening to me, as your trainer.
  • Are you mad?
  • Yes. No, I'm not mad. Let's say disappointed. OUCH!
  • OK Todd. I won't do anymore interval training. I promise.
  • And what are you going to do instead?
  • The stairmaster.
  • I have your word?
  • Yes.
  • Good. You know I am only doing this because I want you to succeed. This isn't a punishment. I am concerned about your knee.
  • I know. Thank you for caring. I appreciate it. (thinking....this sure feels like a punishment)

So, I'm doing the stairmaster now. Oh my Sweet Lord. I really immensely dislike the stairmaster and the worst part is, he used guilt on me. And he isn't even my Mother. And....it worked. UGH. Keep my knee in your prayers. It does feel a little better. I'd finish with I tread on, but I've been banned.......AGAIN.

1 comment:

Misty said...

I had knee surgery a couple of years ago and have had to wear a knee brace every time I work out since then. It seriously helps me though! I'm clearly not a dr. or anything but maybe it would give your knee a little more support .... Just a thought. :) By the way, I'm down 10 lbs and have doubled the amount of time I can run on the treadmill (which is still a far cry from where I should be, but still ...) You've inspired me.