Thursday, November 27, 2008

I Am Thankful


Today, was probably the best Thanksgiving I've had in awhile. Honestly, I know this sounds sad, but Thanksgiving is really a hard day for me usually. I love my family, but they have always kind of depended on me as the "buffer" or the "go-to" for everything, and it doesn't leave much time or energy left for me. I typically get up, become the cleaning lady to get the table and kitchen ready for "guests", the sous chef for my mother so I have to chop, stir, mix and get everything ready and then serve dinner and clean up after because the married sisters are off to the in-laws to be served again. In the midst of all of this, my Mom will not worry about the fact she is a diabetic and will get a low blood sugar attack, which will cause her to behave like a giant grizzly bear with a thorn in it's paw, one or more of my siblings will pick a fight with each other and my nephews will get bored and start to make trouble so someone will pay attention to them. I know, everyone would like an invitation to next year's festivities!!

But, this year was totally different. I planned ahead and got everything in motion, so that I could do what I wanted to do, and still be a productive member of the Olpin family. I told everyone my plans, I asked my sisters to come over beforehand to help my Mom, so she wasn't stuck doing everything, and you know what?? IT WORKED!! It was truly a miracle. I got up early and went in the rain to run/walk the Utah Human Race 5k, and it was fun!! I took my friends Amy and Kate and met some others there and it was great!! First of all, it was really wonderful to see how many people did the 5k for the Food Bank. Second, I jogged my little heart out and got my best time ever of 39 minutes! Then, I grabbed a granola bar and a banana and off I went to 24hr. Fitness to do a "Boot Camp" my darling trainer Todd put on for anyone who wanted to do it. Now, let me just say, if me attending this little activity doesn't prove my deep love and affection for Todd, I don't know what will, because it was truly awful! Boot Camp isn't for sissies and I now have 10,001 reasons not to join the military! But, I got through it and supported Todd and off I went home to shower and get ready for dinner. I got home and my sister Kate was there helping my Mom and they were having a wonderful time! It was awesome. I jumped right in to help with the finishing touches and even got a yummy nap before I put on my size 18 jeans and headed up for the most delicious Thanksgiving dinner!! I don't know if it the fact that I've eaten pretty much nothing but nuts and berries for the past year, but that dinner rocked it big time and I didn't over do it, so I felt OK about the extra scoop of stuffing!

It really was a wonderful day and I am so grateful for so many things. This year has been a rocky one, but in other ways, the most fulfilling to me. I have learned so much about what I am really made of and how I can overcome obstacles that I believed were impossible. I've been humbled by so many things and have really come to hone in on things that were being neglected that I needed to address in my life and I have been so fortunate to reconnect with many many people I have missed terribly and that has been the best thing that has happened this year! (OK, fitting in an 18 was pretty frickin' amazing too!! I can't deny that :) I am really surrounded by wonderful people and I am so blessed in this life and I am finally able to open my eyes and recognize it better. So, to all of my friends (old, new and reacquainted) Thank you for always supporting and loving me even if I am a little crazy sometimes. I love you all and this life wouldn't be worth a hill of beans without you. Happy Thanksgiving. I tread on.....

2 comments:

Misty said...

I love your posts. I'm glad your Thanksgiving was a good one. I did a boot camp-type class that morning, too (I actually go twice a week). My weigh-in is tomorrow so we'll see how I did.... Let's go eat nuts and berries together soon and actually get to catch up, k?

dijensen said...

I'm glad that I found your blog and can keep caught up with you--I'm glad your Thanksgiving turned out so good--at least one of us enjoyed the day...anyhow awesome job on the 5K!..way to go!!take care and see ya on Wednesday..