Thursday, October 30, 2008

My Childhood Friend......Kari Lynn Howard Remembered


I was having just a normal everyday Wednesday yesterday, when I received a very sad phone call. It was a long lost friend I hadn't talked to since high school. I was pleasantly surprised to hear from her, but it was only a moment. I asked how she was doing and she said, "Not very good" and started to cry. I was stunned to learn a friend who I've known my whole life practically, had passed away in her sleep yesterday morning. Kari Howard, truly one of my favorite high school friends, who was sweet and funny and genuine, had been struggling with severe migraines and had had surgery the day before to relieve her pain, had gone to sleep Tuesday night and her father couldn't wake her the next morning. I felt so sad for Heather, my other high school friend, because she and Kari had remained close, and for Kari's girls. She had a 10 year old and a 6 year old. I also felt sad for me. I felt sad that so much time had gone by and I have let so many friendships that were so crucial to my emotional state in school, go as soon as our graduation gowns were taken off. I truly loved Kari when we were in school and she was a friendship I cherished. But, time got away from me as it does so often and life takes you in different directions. High School was very hard for me. It was a place I struggled to fit in. It was a place where kids could be cruel and a lot of us misfits just wanted to survive. I graduated and ran as fast as I could away. I have many regrets about the friendships I also left behind. Because, even though it was a very hard place to be, I had some really wonderful experiences there too and had some amazing friendships, as well. So, as I say goodbye to Kari, my hope is I learn from her and maybe try harder to reconnect with some of those wonderful people I survived high school with. I hope all the ghosts of Murray High are finally buried for me and it isn't too late for happy new beginnings. I believe there are still good times to be had with old friends. Goodbye Kari. God bless your way. I tread on.......

3 comments:

Misty said...

Kari! Oh my goodness ... I can still hear her laugh. She was a larger than life, fun-loving, happy person. Wow. What a sobering feeling. I'm so sorry for her girls! Hope you're o.k., Crissy.

Andy said...

Oh my goodness! How shocking. So sad.

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry to hear it. Things like this make you realize all over again how short this wonderful life can be. I hope her girls have many wonderful memories.